
Mark was on vacation last week and after filling up on pumpkin coffee and donuts (the Travelocity Gnome insisted on it!) one day we took a trip to the Maine Wildlife Park. The animals in the park are those that may have been orphaned at young ages or animals that may have been hit by a vehicle or injured in the wild. Here with lots of TLC they may be able to return to their natural habitat. Some animals will stay here permanently.

Of course no trip would be complete without spotting a rock heart, even though it was upside down!

There are lots of deer wandering about in their huge yard. We watched them for the longest time. They just wandered about, oblivious to me snapping away with the camera!

This albino raccoon was an amazing sight to behold. He/she seemed to be modeling for us! Not a bit shy at all. It will have to stay at the Park as it could not survive in the wild, unable to hide itself.

This little opposum was so cute, nestled in its nest. It watched us very closely!

This is a fisher.

Another albino animal, the porcupine. Those quills look very sharp as well as its claws.

It was hard to take a photo through the fencing around one of two moose in the park. This one seemed to be relaxing.

Now this is something I wouldn't want to meet in the woods! There were two black bears in their big fenced area. They had a small swimming pool and a tire swing to play on!

The brown bear seemed to be moseying about as if he didn't have a care in the world!

I was very impressed by the bobcat. He paced constantly around his pen and climbed up onto a small hill and then back down and then moseyed over to the fence that separated him from another bobcat, probably a female. His eyes are very striking!

This falcon was so handsome. Beautiful markings and its eyes were also very pretty.

As we walked to the fish hatchery area I spotted a nest that was heart-shaped.

We spent several hours wandering about the park. There were a couple of trails to follow to the different pens. The moose yard was huge and there were a couple of ducks floating about in a small pond. A great place to spend an afternoon and bring a picnic lunch along. We were the very last ones to leave!
26 comments:
looks like a fun day....love the photos...and the heart of course...
I expected to see some nature-provided hearts, but not an albino raccoon and porcupine...they were nice extra treats, Cheryl!
Hi Cheryl...A nice park..an a place for injured animals!!!
I was there this spring with my daughter and my grandson!
I couldn't believe the Albino fellars ...pretty cool!
Great heart find on the nest!! : }}
I was going to email you tonight then I saw your post : }...I found a blog that I thought you my like!
It is : Random Hearts http://clytie- randomhearts.blogspot.com/
My best
Grace
How neat, Cheryl. Sounds like you all had a nice day (beginning with breakfast)... You saw and captured (on camera that is) some great shots at the wildlife park.... Love it!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
fun photos but it's difficult to read black printing on red...lol!
It looks like you had a great day at the park. Thanks for taking us along. I really like your pictures of the bobcat and the falcon. I think I would have enjoyed the donut the gnome insisted that you eat as well.
I missed the hearts from nature you caught. Great pics as usual, Cheryl.
I know you enjoy your husband having a week off so you two have more time together. The trip to the wildlife park looks like a huge success especially that you were the last ones to leave. The photos are excellent. And we get to see some rare animals in your photo share. I have never seen albino porcupine or albino raccoon. The falcon is impressive. I am supposing the falcon will be released out to the wild some day.
lions and tigers and bears oh my! nice donut holder :)
What a wonderful place! I wish there were more places like this! I just loved seeing the pictures of the different animals and of course the hearts-in-nature.
Hey Cheryl, love the Gnome. His cousins live with me and they are little terrors. Great shots at the wildlif park. When we went this summer it was too bright and all my photos look steamy from the humidity. You got some really grat shots. Hope things are good with you.
The animal world offers us so much fun and beauty!
Your photos, Cheryl, are of professional quality. I greatly enjoyed them and your lovely descriptions of the various displayed animals.
what a fun excursion, pumpkin coffee almost sounds good though I'm not a coffee drinker but anything pumpkin this time of year...
Many of these animals live in my CO forest, too, Cheryl. But, I'd do a double-take if I saw an albino raccoon or porcupine! Glad you're getting out and about.
I don't get it! I, too, have visited this wild animal park, but my photos look pitiful compared with yours. How did you get the critters to pose so nicely?
Lovely place, nce blog and fotos, greeting from Belgium
What a nice place to spend the day! I love this post, Cheryl! It's as if I am with you while you watch this animals. Not much hearts seen around huh?!
Have a nice day, Cheryl!
Hello Cheryl,
Kay from the blog, Musings told me that you have nice heart photos on your blog. She is right! If you would like to see one of my heart photos it is on my post Climb Every Mountain.
You have a nice blog! I am also named Kay, Kay Guest and I am at
www.georgiagirlwithanenglishheart.blogspot.com
Good to find you!
Your pics gave me a glance at some white creatures I had no idea existed. So educational and love the hearts and gnome too :)
Thanks Deb and hope all is well with you.
Wanda: so nice to hear from you. Our visit to the Park was full of surprises indeed!
grammie g: Thank you for the nice comment and I will definitely stop by the blog you mentioned.
Betsy from Tennessee: Glad you enjoyed our visit. Thanks for your comment!
Lin Floyd: Hope the new colors are easier on the eyes. Ashton thankfully came by and fixed me up!
George: Nice to have you visit and leave your kind comments. The donut was delicious!!
yonca: Hello! Nice to hear from you. I am back on the hunt for more hearts!
TechnoBabe: Hello! So nice to hear from you and hope all is well with you!
Gary's third pottery blog: I knew you would like the donut holder! Maybe a new project for you??
Lucy the Cat: Hello! Maine has such great places to visit, that are affordable or free.
Carol Blackburn: Pleased that you enjoyed the photos. We had the park almost to ourselves, only saw a group as they were leaving the park as we were coming in. It was mid-afternoon. We plan on going back in the spring.
DUTA: Thank you so much for the kind comments. I enjoy taking photos for the fun of it and am happy to share.
Barb: Thank you for stopping by. Hope all is well with you and yours and that you are enjoying fall.
Jean: I think the fact that Mark and I were the only ones there in the afternoon was a big help in getting the animals to cooperate! It was quiet and cool and very, very quiet. Except the oohing and ahhing from us as we saw the different animals!
retriever: Welcome and thank you for your nice comment.
Beng Gee: Hello! Nice that you stopped by and enjoyed the animal photos.
Kay G: Welcome! I shall check out your blog. Isn't it fun to discover other blogs that interest us? I have met so many wonderful people through blogging!
KleinsteMotte: Pleased that you enjoyed the post. I imagine you are very busy right now.
Love the wildlife. I will have a post of driving through Custer and Wind Cave parks in SD where the bison, elk, 3 types of deer, bear, snakes, and heaven only knows what else roam. We did not see a great number as it was a very warm afternoon. The wild life seems generally hiding in the shade.
I will also have a post on that.
Thank your for visiting my blog.
Hi Cheryl, first of all my humble apologies for being MIA long time here at your wonderful blog.
I don't have a link and .....never mind, I'm here now, ha ha.
How you doin', Cheryl? Hope this finds you well.
As always I love how you take pics....as well seeing things we don't.
Who on earth would look at rocks except to avoid stubbing a toe or tripping and seeing stars. Only you, ha ha.
Incidentally I would think the army or police would love someone like you....crooks stand no chance, ha ha.
All your pics come out very vivid sharp....you taking your time to focus, and to create a picture.
As I have mentioned before, your pics like looking at National Geographic, or Nature.
Outstanding Cheryl.
You have a pleasant week, Cheryl, and keep a song n your heart.
Best regards.
Lee.
ps, no Canadian ducks? Ha ha.
http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2011/10/fso-scavenger-hunt.html
Hi Cheryl,
You are one blogging friend I am always thinking about when I am out taking photos. I think of you pain, and I look for hearts. Here is one post I did specially for you, less the clutches of course.
Uncle Lee: Thank you so much for the nice comments! I too have been MIA from blogging for quite some time. I enjoy taking photos for the fun of it, and thats all I do, with a simple point and shoot camera. I try to find a heart each day but not always. Hope all is well with you!
Ann: Thank you so much for the kind comment. I am so pleased that you like to look for hearts as well, its fun isn't it? I think my illness has taught me to slow down and enjoy what is around me so looking for hearts is the perfect thing!
Hi Cheryl!
actually I went to a small zoo and saw some animals, too.
oh, what a coincidence!
but my baby and I got tired. so we left there even though we didn't see all animals.
by the way you have 3 children!
oh, I'm jealous of you!
I want 2 children at least if I could! I hope so!
the picture in the last article is you?
what a very young cute mom and a baby!
ayamlin: I bet you enjoyed the zoo and as your baby gets older he will enjoy going with you. One is never too old to enjoy a zoo! I had taken two of my children years ago, before Ashton was born, and now my husband and I took a trip by ourselves! I have three children, a son 32 years old, another son 25 years old and my daughter who just turned 20 years old. Now I wait for grandchildren to love! We do have a baby that comes to visit with my daughter, he is a joy at almost 5 months old. The photo you mentioned is of my daughter Ashton and her friend's baby. He came into the world two months early but was a fighter and is healthy at 5 months old now! He is a joy to us and I love when he comes to visit, I can rock him for hours and cuddle him.
I think of you and your little one.
Post a Comment